[syslog-ng] multiple facilities/streams into a named pipe?

streiner-syslogng@sgi.net streiner-syslogng@sgi.net
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 01:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

This is a pretty off-the-wall question, but I figure I'd give it a shot ;-)
I work in a largely Solaris shop and have to deal with many of the quirks of
its syslog implementation.  One of these quirks came up when I tried on a
hunch to get multiple event streams to feed into the same named pipe, which would
then get pushed off to a network management system.  The reason I wanted to
do this was organizational; i.e. have all routers log to local7.debug on my
log server, switches log to local6.debug, ras servers to local5.debug and
so on.  From what I've seen in early tests, this type of setup either causes
Sun's syslogd fits or could potentially clobber data being written to the
pipe.

My questions are: 1) has anyone ever tried anything like this?
2) is syslog-ng capable of supporting a setup like this on a Solaris 2.7
box?

tia
jms