[syslog-ng] Re: Re: Syslog-ng: [wishlitst ;)] make it color. :)

Siddall Csiddall@beautronics.com
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:05:40 -0500

>On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 11:24:11PM +0200, Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>>    I have a suggestion, a feature I'd really like to see in a syslog
>> daemon, but I haven't found do far.  Please make it use ANSI color
>> escapes ("\033[31;41;1m") while presenting messages to console,
>> for example to make important messages red, standard grey and
>> network green.  I think it should be configurable, but I don't
>> know where. :)  Maybe a special color foo { ... } section, or
>> maybe special additions in destination bar { ... } ?  I think
>> you're the best person to decide.  I'm sorry I cannot send you
>> a patch, but I'm to weak at C, unfortunately. :)
>
>Hi,
>
>I think this will be possible with the rewrite rules to be introduced in the
>1.3.x series, but you'll have to wait for that a bit.
>
>--
>Bazsi
>PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 802C 0944 9CFD >804E C82C 8EB1
>     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt

I am new to this program, and new to the Linux world in general (6 days old) however I have this to offer:

I would like to propose a small amendment to that idea.  Simply allow user definable message PREFIX (msgpfx) and SUFIXs (msgsfx) that would automatically be appended onto the alert.  Allow this to be done in the destination field so that you have the most control.  Then the config file might look something like this.

destination tty1 {
        msgpfx("\[\033[34m\]**ALERT!!!**");
        msgsfx("**ALERT!!!**\[\033[0m\]);
        pipe("/dev/tty1");