[syslog-ng-announce] syslog-ng 3.6.0alpha2 has been released

devel at balabit.hu devel at balabit.hu
Mon Aug 11 20:24:12 CEST 2014

PACKAGE             : syslog-ng
VERSION             : 3.6.0alpha2
SUMMARY             : new alpha release
DATE                : Aug 11, 2014

  The second alpha version of syslog-ng Open Source Edition (3.6.0alpha2) has
  been released. This being an alpha release, testing is most welcome, but
  production use is not recommended!

CHANGES:

3.6.0alpha2
	Released: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:02:59 +0200

This is the second alpha release of the upcoming syslog-ng OSE 3.6
branch, with more internal changes and features compared to the
previous 3.6.0alpha1 release. Above the changes in the latest 3.5.6
stable version, this release contains the following noteworthy
changes:

Changed defaults
----------------

* Threaded mode is now **enabled** by default. To turn it off, use
  `threaded(no)` in the global options section.

* The versioning of the `libsyslog-ng` internal library has changed:
  instead of always using the current release number, we will now try
  to maintain ABI compatibility during the lifetime of a stable
  branch. Therefore, we use only the first two components of our
  version as the base of the library version. Another number will be
  part of the SONAME too, but that will only change when we break
  compatibility.

  The SONAME is currently set to `libsyslog-ng-3.6.so.0`, and will
  remain the same during alpha and beta releases, even when the ABI
  changes. We will start bumping the version after the first stable
  release from this branch, if needed.

Features
--------

* The new `systemd-syslog()` source replaces the former implicit
  support for the same thing. Users who use systemd are advised to use
  either the `system()` source, or this new one when they want to
  receive logs from systemd via the `/run/systemd/journal/syslog`
  socket.

### SMTP destination changes

* The `smtp()` destination now supports a `retries()` option, which
  controls how many times a message delivery will be attempted before
  dropping it.

* The destination no longer counts delivered messages as `stored`.

* The templates used in the destination now honor the time-zone
  settings.

* The driver will abort if required options (any of `to()`, `cc()`,
  `bcc()` and `from()`, and `subject()` and `body()`) are not set.

Bugfixes
--------

* The `file()` and `network()` (including `tcp()` et al) sources will
  now properly set the `$SOURCE` macro.

* To build syslog-ng with the MongoDB destination, libmongo-client
  version 0.1.8+ is now required. (The internal copy has been updated
  accordingly.)

* The UNIX credential extracting feature was ported to FreeBSD,
  syslog-ng now compiles, and has support for this feature. (The
  previous support in alpha1 was sadly incomplete.)

* The `pdbtool merge` command will now generate version 4 patterndb
  files.

Credits
-------

syslog-ng is developed as a community project, and as such it relies
on volunteers, to do the work necessary to produce syslog-ng.

Reporting bugs, testing changes, writing code or simply providing
feedback are all important contributions, so please if you are a user
of syslog-ng, contribute.

We would like to thank the following people for their contribution:

Fabien Wernli, Gergely Nagy, Laszlo Budai, Peter Czanik, Tibor Benke,
Viktor Juhasz, Viktor Tusa.

DOWNLOAD:

  You can download the source or binary packages from:

    http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files/syslog-ng/open-source-edition/3.6.0alpha2/

  The documentation of the syslog-ng Open Source Edition is available in
  The syslog-ng Open Source Edition Administrator's Guide at

    http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/