[syslog-ng] parallelize: modified ivykis for Fedora / RHEL

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Tue Aug 1 12:40:23 UTC 2023

Hi,

Version 4.3.1 of syslog-ng was released last weekend and it contains an interesting feature: parallelize(). TL;DR: it allows faster processing of single, high-traffic TCP connections. You can read more about it in my latest blog at: https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/accelerating-single-tcp-connections-in-syslog-ng-parallelize

The problem is that it requires a modified ivykis library. The syslog-ng source code bundles ivykis, and has a modified version. However, all Fedora and RHEL syslog-ng packages use a separate ivykis package.

I feel uncomfortable with modifying the "official" ivykis package in Fedora / RHEL with patches not yet in the upstream ivykis sources. And it would not help the majority of syslog-ng users anyway, who use RHEL 8 and compatible operating systems. I could only add it to Fedora and upcoming RHEL releases.

However, I want to enable this feature for the majority of syslog-ng users.

Plan: add a modified ivykis library to my unofficial repositories. The version would stay 0.42.4, but the release would be a high number, making sure that it stays larger than the "official" package. First I'd introduce it to my git snapshot repository, and once I collect some positive feedback, I implement it in other repos too for upcoming syslog-ng versions.

What do you think?

Peter

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik