[syslog-ng] Gsoc 2016 Introduction: Radcliffe

Radcliffe Robinson radclifferobs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:33:56 CET 2016

Hi there. My name is Radcliffe Robinson. I am a second year computer
science student at the University of the West Indies, Jamaica.

I actually first became interested interested in syslog-ng as a potential
user while searching for a more palatable logging and log processing
solution (something for sophisticated than ctrl+f) for a billing system a
partner and I built in C to accompany the Asterisk pbx system at our
internship.

I had some time ago read about a company that logged all messages and
controlled all their systems through a web server
(localhost/product/restart to restart a service,
localhost/product/logs?query=query to view logsm etc) and was searching for
a similar way to send log messages from the billing software directly to
the web-server i built to interfaces with customer database, where i would
then do filtering and grouping etc of the log messages.

It is for this reason that i am particularly interested in your project
idea to create a websocket destination for syslog-ng. Syslog-ng already
possess the filtering and grouping functionality, leaving only the act of
implementing the websocket source.
This something i could directly apply to an existing product of mine.

However my passion for user interface design and extensive experience with
web development draws my interest towards your idea for a drag and drop
web interface for creating syslog-ng configuration files, purely because of
the novelty of the idea and the opportunity to supersize some creative and
aesthetic competency, a relatively rare experience in my short professional
life as a developer. The more consideration i give to this idea, and the
further i read through the admin guide, the more difficult a task it
reveals itself to be but i have already devised a few possible solutions
and began designing the database schema to facilitate it, and am confident
that it is within the scope of my competency to create a useful and well
designed web solution. I will be running these ideas by the project's
mentor to seek feedback.

I expect to end up sending in applications for multiple of the gsoc ideas
the syslog-ng team has posted as they are the most interesting set of ideas
which align well with my skill set that i have found. Thus, if given the
opportunity, i look forward to working with the team this summer.

Best regards,
Radcliffe.