[syslog-ng] kafka destination

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Jan 8 14:55:49 CET 2015

Hi,

The syslog-ng incubator supports kafka ( http://kafka.apache.org/ )
destination, but it was not enabled in rpm builds due to missing
dependencies. In the past few days I packaged librdkafka for rpm
(actually fixed the rpm from the upstream developer). What it means,
that my syslog-ng incubator packages for openSUSE/SLES12/fedora/RHEL7
now also support the kafka destination.

And here I'd like to ask for some help. I plan to test kafka, but for
that I'd need some use cases. Why do you use kafka? How do use kafka
together with syslog-ng?

As usual, openSUSE/SLES12 packages are available at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:czanik:syslog-ng36 and
Fedora/RHEL7 packages are available at
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/czanik/syslog-ng36/

If you still use RHEL6 and would like to use kafka, let me know and
I'll try to extend also my RHEL6 incubator package with kafka support.

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream
http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik