[syslog-ng] insider 2015-12: Elasticsearch & Kibana; SCL; Kafka; syslog-ng on Windows; conferences

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Dec 3 13:28:05 CET 2015

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 45th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

ESK: Elasticsearch + syslog-ng + Kibana

---------------------------------------

An official Elasticsearch destination was a long awaited feature of
syslog-ng. The Elasticsearch syslog-ng Kibana (ESK) stack provides
high performance log collection, message parsing and filtering on the
syslog-ng side and storage and analysis on the Elastic side. Read more
about the benefits at
https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2015/10/how-to-parse-data-with-syslog-ng-store-in-elasticsearch-and-analyze-with-kibana/
and https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2015/12/elasticsearch-and-syslog-ng-fast-and-simple/

The power of SCL

----------------

SCL, the syslog-ng configuration library is a lesser known feature of
syslog-ng. It can provide reusable configuration blocks, which help to
format messages to a specific format, hide complex configurations,
This blog shows how to create a simple SCL through the example of a
Loggly (logging as a service provider) destination:

https://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2015/11/the-power-of-scl-integrating-with-loggly/

Kafka and syslog-ng

-------------------

Kafka is a high-throughput distributed messaging system. It was
originally developed by LinkedIn as the backbone of a website activity
tracking infrastructure and is now used by Netflix, Spotify, Twitter
and many other companies for message queuing, log aggregation and
stream processing. Read more about how syslog-ng can collect messages
from multiple sources and process as well as filter them before
forwarding them to Kafka:
https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2015/11/kafka-and-syslog-ng/

syslog-ng on Windows

--------------------

Most Linux admins only consider Windows as a client machine and use
syslog-ng Agent for Windows if they need to collect logs from Windows.
The following use cases demonstrate why you would want to use
syslog-ng Premium Edition server on Windows instead of the syslog-ng
Agent for Windows:
https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2015/11/syslog-ng-on-windows/

syslog-ng @ conferences

-----------------------

This autumn, syslog-ng was present at many conferences. I gave
presentations about syslog-ng at the annual FSF Hungary and
Virtualization & DevOps day conferences (in Hungarian), and
participated SUSECon, LISA and Crunch Big Data Conference as an
exhibitor. Most questions I received were related to the Elasticsearch
destination and also many people were interested in commercial support
for syslog-ng.

In January I'll present “syslog-ng: from raw data to Big Data” at the
Southern California Linux Expo:
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/presentations/syslog-ng-raw-data-big-data

See you there!

NEW RELEASES

syslog-ng PE 5F5:
https://jluby.blogs.balabit.com/2015/11/16/syslog-ng-premium-edition-5f5-released/

syslog-ng OSE 3.7.2:
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/releases/tag/syslog-ng-3.7.2

Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com To read this newsletter on-line, visit:
http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream