[syslog-ng] TCP packet collapse errors

Xuri Nagarin secsubs at gmail.com
Fri May 31 10:12:18 CEST 2013

Thanks for the quick response, Daniel.

I look at statistics for an hour before tweaking flush_lines to zero and
setting log_fifo_size to 10000. In that period, syslog-ng reported
processing 7,898,310,589 messages across all destinations and
dropped 4,200,260.

After making the change (flush_lines set to 0 and log_fifo_size to 10000),
I looked at three sets (half hour) of stats (default, every 10 minutes).
The dropped messages are now zero across all destinations.

But the collapsed TCP packets count keeps incrementing. I ran 'iostat -xm
5' and "watch -d 'netstat -s | grep collpased' " in two windows
side-by-side. Each time that disk IO spikes up, the TCP collapsed counter
starts incrementing. Disk IO remains almost zero for about half a minute
and then spikes up to ~4-25 Mbytes/sec for half a minute.

Does this mean I need to bump up log_fifo_size even higher? I think ideally
we want the disk to be consistently written to instead of bursts of write
activity. Right?