[syslog-ng] how to archive logs efficiently

Daniel Neubacher daniel.neubacher at xing.com
Tue Feb 12 14:04:19 CET 2013

Hey there,
my syslog-ng has gotten quite big with 50k logs per second and the server seems to hit the io limit at night. While a few month ago I could run a gzip with ionice over all old logs the server doesn't like it anymore and quite a lot of logs are storing while the compression lasts.
I'm using the ose so I've got no logstore. And for a second I've thought about writing the logs a compressed fuse fs but... fuse :P So how are you guys doing it?

--
Daniel Neubacher, Network Administrator
daniel.neubacher at xing.com<mailto:daniel.neubacher at xing.com>

XING AG
Gaensemarkt 43, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Tel. +49 40 419131-28, Fax +49 40 419131-11

Commercial Reg. (Registergericht): Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 98807
Exec. Board (Vorstand): Dr. Stefan Groß-Selbeck (Vorsitzender), Dr. Thomas Vollmoeller, Ingo Chu, Dr. Helmut Becker, Jens Pape
Chairman of the Supervisory Board (Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender): Dr. Neil Sunderland

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden and may be unlawful.