[syslog-ng] Use multiple templates for a single file?

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Mar 23 12:40:42 CET 2012

"Mikkel Leth Carlsen" <mlca at tdc.dk> writes:

> Is it somehow possible to apply multiple templates to a single
> destination/file? My current setup is something along the lines of:

I do not think this would be possible easily. The problem is that
templates are tied to the file() destination, and you're right that two
different destinations pointing to the same file is Not A Good Idea(tm).

The workaround I'd suggest is to create a new source that's not a file,
but something where overlapping writes are not an issue (such as tcp),
and point both of your dst_foo_* to that.

Then create another destination, the real file destination, and a
logpath that connects these two.

This way, you'll have two or more destinations with different templates
looped back to syslog-ng, as a new source, which in turn gets stored in
a file.

Hopefully the above was clear enough, even without a config example.