[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Insider - July 2012

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu Jul 12 14:22:21 CEST 2012

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 15th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng related news.
Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com

FEATURED NEWS

What's next for syslog-ng
-------------------------
Sources for some previously Premium Edition-only features have been
available for a while now, but have not been merged into the Open Source
Edition yet. As we want to release OSE 3.4 soon, we are unlikely to have
the necessary resources to merge all of these. We would like to ask Your
opinion on which of these features would you like to see in the upcoming
release.
Please vote and share your reasoning in the BalaBit community forum at
http://communities.balabit.com/balabit/topics/poll_which_of_these_features_would_you_like_to_see_ported_from_syslog_ng_pe_in_the_upcoming_major_ose-1jdudb?rfm=1

syslog-ng 3.4 alpha3 is released
--------------------------------
Summer is here, when usually not much is happening. This is not the case
with syslog-ng, where the third alpha of the upcoming version was
released. Changes since the previous alpha version include new tag
related rewrite rules, a marker option for the JSON parser to ease
implementing CEE and many smaller features, like support for Cisco
extended timestamp format, ported over from the Premium Edition. Of
course there were also many smaller fixes, some of them merged from the
3.3 version. For a complete list, check the announcement at
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng-announce/2012-June/000144.html
As the changes since v3.3 are less drastic, than were between 3.2 and
3.3, we hope that more people will install it on their test or non
critical systems. We hope to gather some feedback, how existing
configurations work with syslog-ng 3.4 (so no existing feature was
broken), and experiences with the new features.

Syslog-ng 3.3.6 is coming
-------------------------
This release is a bug-fix release mostly, with a few minor - yet useful
- feature enhancements. The most important one is that the patched
ivykis syslog-ng 3.3 shipped with until now is no more. We build against
upstream ivykis now (still included for convenience, though). Other
highlights include much improved systemd support, and an enhancement to
the @include feature, and many bugfixes.
It will be available in the coming days from
http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files?path=/syslog-ng/open-source-edition/3.3.6

LogZilla 4.0 is released
------------------------
A new major version of LogZilla, previously known as php-syslog-ng, was
released last month. Next to its outstanding Cisco network device
support, the new release features easier, even unattended installation,
enhanced access control and search possibilities. Detailed information
about the new release is available at
http://www.logzilla.pro/news/releases/4.0

OTHER SHORT NEWS

     ELSA tested with syslog-ng Premium Edition:
http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2012/06/elsa-and-syslog-ng-pe/

NEW RELEASES:

     syslog-ng OSE 3.4 alpha3:
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng-announce/2012-June/000144.html

     syslog-ng PE 4.2.3:
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng-announce/2012-July/000145.html

     syslog-ng OSE 3.3.6:
http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files?path=/syslog-ng/open-source-edition/3.3.6
(once available)

ARCHIVE

     http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream