[syslog-ng] syslog-ng service not starting

James McDonald jmcdonald at LCE.com
Mon Aug 6 17:00:44 CEST 2012

I returned from being out of the office for week and realized something was
"off" with syslog-ng.  I was unable to restart the service.  I did a
'service syslog-ng status' and it says it's stopped.  When I try 'service
syslog-ng start' I get the following error:

Error binding socket; addr='AF_INET(0.0.0.0:443)', error='Address already in
use (98)'

Error initializing source driver; source='inputs', id='inputs#3'

Error initializing message pipeline;

There is only instance of syslog-ng installed on the server but I did a
reboot to try and clear any conflicting settings, but I still get the same
error.  Can someone help me clear this error and get the service started
again?

Thanks,

James McDonald

System Administrator