[syslog-ng] Disk based buffering for syslog-ng v3.2.4 OSE

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Jun 24 14:26:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 09:16 +0900, Yu Watanabe wrote:
> >disk based buffering (and therefore the log_disk_fifo_size option) is currently
> >available only in the commercial version of syslog-ng, not in the OSE version.
> >That's why there are no examples in the OSE manual.
>
>   Thanks for the reply. I was aware of that , however, I was curious
>   if anyone had implemented disk based buffering any alternate way.
>   Like, using custom scripts.

Well, writing the logs into a file (as a buffer) and following the same
file via the file source driver should work.

It's of course less performance (all messages are written to disk), and
rotation of the buffer file needs to be organized somehow. The disk
buffering in PE is a circular buffer, which only gets used if need to
be.