[syslog-ng] Lot of log lost

Clayton Dukes cdukes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:22:52 CEST 2011

Hi,
I did some work with UDP buffer testing and wrote it into my Wiki at
http://nms.gdd.net/index.php/Install_Guide_for_LogZilla_v3.1#UDP_Buffers

The other guy that Baszi refers to did some nice graphs, but it was a
temporary URL.
At the time, I thought the email thread would be useful, so I copied it to
text and saved it locally. Here's that thread:

---
I've run a series of tests against our log server, using
loggen-generated logging rates of 100, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000,
and 32000 messages/sec, and measured the results for each rate using
socket buffer sizes ranging from 128KB to 16M.  The results show,
essentially, what buffer size you need to meet a target rate of
message logging.

So I'm happy now, and I'm getting the sort of rates I expect to be
able to support.  I figured other folks might like the data.  I've put
the raw data online as well as a graph of the results:

 http://drop.io/syslog_ng

The graph shows so_rcvbuf() size along the X axis, and packet loss
along the Y axis.