[syslog-ng] Host sending "localhost" as hostname

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Fri Jul 1 09:04:03 CEST 2011

Hello,

we have a setup with Syslog-Ng 3.2 on both a debian server and Ubuntu
clients. For several reasons, we set keep_hostnames(yes) on the log
server, which works quite well. Except for some clients (3 or 4) which
insist on sending "localhost" as their hostname. They do resolve
perfectly via DNS in both directions, "hostname" on these clients
outputs the correct hostname.

I have no idea where this comes from. Configuration is identical on all
machines, so I don't understand why it works on most but not all of them.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Andreas