[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.01 compilation error on Solaris

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sat Feb 19 20:05:29 CET 2011

Hi!

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 00:19 +0530, Rakesh Rajasekharan wrote:
> I have uploaded the config.log at paste bin hope you would receive
> that. Meanwhile, I just went through the config log and suspect that
> there seems to be issues findng the libivonv library file. I had
> directly taken the libiconv package and installed it using the pkgadd
> command. Would that not be enough or do I need to compile it manually.

I suspect that libiconv does not have a static library, yet, judging by
the gcc comandline, gcc is trying to link it statically (along with
libintl, but since it errored on iconv which comes later, I think
libintl is fine).

I'd check if it is, indeed, shared only (as in, there is no libiconv.a),
and if so, compile one that has a static version aswell.

Another option would be - if you're fine with linking libiconv
dynamically - to find the pkg-config control file for glib
(/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc or something similar), and remove
libiconv from the Libs line there, and add it to the linked libraries
some other way (for example, by exporting LDFLAGS=-liconv before running
configure). I haven't tested this second workaround, so your might have
to tweak a few things if you go this route.

By the way: the newest version of syslog-ng from the 3.0.x series is
3.0.7, it might be worth going with that version instead, unless you
need to stay with 3.0.1 for some reason.

Hope this helps!