[syslog-ng] [fyi] ivykis reference handling

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sun Feb 6 07:06:03 CET 2011

Hi,

Those experimenting with the 3.3 tree may have noticed that syslog-ng is
using ivykis, a main loop implementation by Lennert Buytenhek. Since
this library is not in wide-spread  use in distributions, I've decided
to embed it into the syslog-ng source code / git repository.

Source code releases include a lib/ivykis directory, that is
automatically compiled when syslog-ng is compiled except if
--with-ivykis=system is specified.

The git repository contains a submodule reference to the ivykis repo,
which points to my ivykis repository on git.balabit.hu. The way it is
implemented in git, is that it contains a sha1 reference to the exact
imported commit.

Since I don't intend to fork ivykis, this ivykis repo is rebased from
time-to-time to its upstream. Rebasing causes commits to be changed
(e.g. their sha1 changes), thus the submodule reference from the
syslog-ng repo could break.

To avoid this, I'm going to tag each and every "import" into the
syslog-ng repository with a tag in the form "syslog-ng-3.3-refXXX",
where XXX is a kind of version number, increased by one every time. By
putting this tag in the ivykis repository, I can ensure that any import
I make will still be available.

I intend to do the same with libmongo-client, used by the mongodb
driver.