[syslog-ng] Solaris 10 UDP overflows, message drops

Fred Connolly fred.connolly at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 03:27:46 CEST 2011

I am experiencing the same problem with Sun V490 except the server has about
16gb memory. We are using UDP and losing about 85% of the traffic.  The
udpinoverflows is darn near equal to the total number of packets coming in.
I am not at work now so cannot provide accurate statistics at this time. The
NIC statistics are perfect, we aren't getting any errors with regards to the
UDP area etc.

There is a kernel patch that came out about a week or two ago that deals in
this area, but I have not yet applied it. I want to apply the patch first
before adjusting other kernel parameters. We have Solaris 10, update 9.
Version of syslog-ng is 3.1.2. It is really terrible.

By terrible, I mean the packet loss, not the product:)) It is probably
something I don't have set up correctly.

Mike, check out that latest patch, it can't hurt. I had to open a case with
Sun to find out about it:))