[syslog-ng] client -> server logging.. filters?

Matt Wise mwise at netflix.com
Fri Apr 8 20:22:52 CEST 2011

I'm doing some logging from clients -> servers via syslog-ng over a TCP session with stunnel. On my client, I'm seeing some log messages come in that are not making it to the server.. reliably. I don't have any filtering setup I don't think — is there some default setting somewhere that I don't know about that only passes certain types of messages to the remote dest? Do I need to specify somewhere 'send all'?

Whats quite strange is that I have the hosts logging to 2 systems right now.. old syslog-ng server, and new one. The old one is getting all  of the messages, but the new one is ignoring messages like these:

Apr  8 18:21:43 xxx stunnel: LOG5[5459:1079724352]: Connection reset: 0 bytes sent to SSL, 0 bytes sent to socket

It seems to get all other messages.. but messages that have that LOG5 or LOG3 or LOG7 appended to them seem to get lost in translation... any ideas?

—Matt