[syslog-ng] Mass text log files processing over network.

Tomasz Wrona twr at wp.pl
Thu Sep 9 13:40:52 CEST 2010

> From: Joe McDonagh <joseph.e.mcdonagh at gmail.com>

> Probably easier to just pipe the configs to logger, since you can set
> the facility and log level with it. This is what I do for my apache
> stuff, pretty much a standard practice among the guys I know.
>
> --
> Joe McDonagh

Joe, You are right, piping logs to logger works fine for apache logs,
but AFAIK it doesn't work for php error_logs ( php_value error_log
"|logger [..]" ).

> From: Baron Von Pietri <barnaclebob at gmail.com>

> If you do use the file() source driver then what i have done in a
> similar situation is use the program() flag to set what destination
> filename the log data should be in.  then in the destination i can
> just use file("/var/log/customstuff/$PROGRAM.log").
>
> Hope that helps.
> --
> Karl

Thank You Karl! It works for me.
So I use parameter log_prefix("service1: ") as equivalent for
program_override() on client side and then $PROGRAM.log on server side.

However, it is still needed to configure individually each log file [set
"prefix/program"] on client side but server process it smart to
dedicated files.

Regards
Tom