[syslog-ng] Buffering AF_UNIX Destination, Batch Post Processing Messages

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Wed Sep 8 03:42:52 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 07:25:37PM -0600, syslogng at feystorm.net wrote:
> Syslog-ng already has the exact functionality you are looking for (at
> least as far as I understand what youre wanting).

Excellent! Thanks for the advice. This is why I ask about things before
implementing bad or unnecessary code. ;-)

> Create a udp destination driver, set flush_timeout to 60000 (60
> seconds), and flush_lines to 0 (the default).

Makes sense except for the caveat I'll ask about below.

> Syslog-ng will queue all the destination messages until the oldest
> message is 60 seconds old, and then flushes them all out at once.

This part is tricky. How do I tell if I have received all the messages?
How do I know when I have hit the end of the batch? Is it possible to
have the daemon insert a marker message, or is there some other way I
can check for this?

Thanks,
Matthew.