[syslog-ng] Compilation problem in Debian (libsyslog-ng dependency)

Jean F. Mousinho jean.mousinho at ist.utl.pt
Tue Oct 26 12:05:25 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to manually build the package in Debian, but I'm getting an
error when compiling:

dh_shlibdeps: Compatibility levels before 4 are deprecated.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: couldn't find library libdbparser.so needed by
debian/syslog-ng/bin/pdbtool (its RPATH is '//lib://lib/syslog-ng').
Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not
have any shlibs or symbols file.
To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: no dependency information found for
lib/.libs/libsyslog-ng.so.0 (used by debian/syslog-ng/bin/pdbtool).
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

I've noticed that libdbparser.so is actually located in
./modules/dbparser/.libs/libdbparser.so
but the problem seems to be that dpkg-shlibdeps doesn't find dependency
information for libsyslog-ng?

I don't know much how automake+dpkg-buildpackage work to know how to
solve this, even tho I've tried to google for it.

Thanks for your time.

Jean-François Mousinho