[syslog-ng] providing Windows Event Viewer logs into syslog

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:34:41 CET 2010

I have used Snare and Eventlog-to-Syslog (evtsys).

Snare is a bit more user friendly because the agent is configured to
listen on a given port and serve a web console to set policies on what
logs should be forwarded.  By default, most (but not all) logs are
forwarded as there are some default filters.  It also technically
alters the security policy for logging when it is installed based on
the policy you've set using it.

evtsys is much lighter weight and has a cleaner command line install
process, so it's much easier to blast out to a server farm.  The
default settings work for me, which is forward everything all of the
time.

Both can be configured via the registry and run as a service, but you
have to do the legwork to use group policy to configure.  Both are
open source.  Snare is free but has support available, evtsys doesn't
really have support (though I've never needed it).

One other thing to consider:  If you also want to forward flat files
from Windows apps, (like IIS and DHCP), then you'll need a separate
agent to do that.  I've had success with Snare's cousin, Epilog, which
looks and feels like Snare.  You configure it through a similar web
console to point it at directories to monitor and then give it file
name patterns to stream as syslog.

One last note: if you want encrypted transport, evtsys won't do it,
and Snare will do it with the paid version only, so you'll be paying
money for sure.

So to recap, Balabit's offering improves on the free ones by
integrating flat file streaming with the event log and offering
encryption and GPO integration.