[syslog-ng] config file question

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 23:17:55 CET 2010

I've done this before using program() and a Perl script which
multiplexes logs as necessary.  Syslog-NG won't do round-robin as far
as I know.  Conversely, a simple Perl script from program() could be
easy on the number of open filehandles if you open, write, then close
immediately after writing, if that's your concern versus throughput
performance.

I'm genuinely curious: what design issue are you addressing with
10,000 simultaneously open log files?  Is it that you prefer
file-based tools (grep, etc.) versus dumping into a database?

--Martin