[syslog-ng] Separating Remote Logs

Nate Hausrath hausrath.mailing.list at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:07:23 CET 2010

Everything appears to work properly with the patterndb.xml file.
Dumping worked fine, and here is what happened when I matched:

# ./pdbtool match -p /opt/syslog-ng/var/patterndb.xml -P su -M "+
pts/2 root:nateh"
MESSAGE=+ pts/2 root:nateh
PROGRAM=su
.classifier.class=system
.classifier.rule_id=04ba999a-75fe-11dd-9bba-001e6806451b

However, when I use my custom XML file with a message that should
match, it doesn't work:

# ./pdbtool match -p /opt/syslog-ng/var/capcdb2.xml -P "MSWinEventLog"
-M "This is the message"
MESSAGE=This is the message
PROGRAM=MSWinEventLog
.classifier.class=unknown

Here is the relevant part in the XML:

     <ruleset name='win' id='2'>
                <pattern>MSWinEventLog</pattern>
                <rules>
                        <rule provider='capc' id='2' class='system'>
                                <description>Detects Windows logs from
Snare</description>
                                <patterns>
                                        <pattern></pattern>
                                </patterns>
                        </rule>
                </rules>
      </ruleset>

I'm assuming that leaving the <pattern> part blank should cause it to
match on anything with "MSWinEventLog", right?

Thanks!
-Nate