[syslog-ng] syslog-ng OSE patch flow

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sat Feb 14 18:43:11 CET 2009

Hi,

In order to improve transparency in the syslog-ng development process,
I'm going to try to improve the communication about the changes that go
into syslog-ng OSE.

Currently I see three major ways to get patches into syslog-ng:

 * Patches that get implemented because one of the list members request
it are already posted on this list.

 * Patches that are submitted to bugzilla.balabit.com are also posted
here, because of the bugzilla -> email gateway that I set up.

 * A third portion of patches that are the results of BalaBit's internal
development projects were not posted here so far, simply because I took
the internal git tree and ported patches to the open source branch that
were relevant.

I hope to improve the latter point. At first I thought about
"submitting" the patches openly to this mailing list, but then I thought
it'd be a mail storm every time I started doing the patch porting. (for
instance just today I ported over 30 patches) Also it is not the way I
do the work: I use git directly, doing this based on emails would be
more difficult for me.

Therefore I decided to post a single mail, every time I port patches
back-and-forth. This mail would contain a summary for the patches I
ported. The summary would be generated using "git-shortlog", more
details are always available in the public git repositories at
"git.balabit.hu".

Currently the author information of my git trees are not perfect, but
some changes were already made to improve the accuracy of these fields.
Hopefully by the end of the next syslog-ng PE cycle, these would
contains the names for the guys who actually worked on this stuff.

That's the basic idea. I'm going to submit the current list of patches
in a separate mail.