[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng DNS Problem

K K kkadow at gmail.com
Tue May 20 04:41:03 CEST 2008

On 5/19/08, zarahel at iol.pt <zarahel at iol.pt> wrote:
> I´ve installed syslog-ng and it´s cacti plugin and it´s working fine,
> except for it´s name resolution.

Which version of syslog-ng?

> For some reason it resolves some names, and doesn´t resolve others.
> I´m able to ping my hosts by their names without any problem, and I´ve
> set use_dns(yes) in syslog-ng.conf

When you say "it resolves some names", do you mean "it resolves some
IP addresses to names"?

Can you post an example of a 'destination' where you are using the name?

> I´ve done nslookup, and everything´s as it should.

So if you nslookup the IP of each source, the nameserver returns an
appropriate name?

> Does anybody have any idea why syslog-ng is resolving only some of my
> hosts names?

What OS?  What is in /etc/resolv.conf? /etc/hosts?
What is in /etc/nsswitch.conf (or the equivalent for your OS)?

I had all sorts of trouble because of slow nameservers (out of my
control), I ended up just putting an entry in /etc/hosts for each
remote syslog source.  Not a scalable solution, but effective.

Kevin