[syslog-ng] syslog-ng to trigger rancid

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Mon May 19 13:17:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

Mladen Tsvetkov <mladen.tsvetkov at telelink.com> [20080515 09:13:32 +0300]:

> I am new to syslog-ng. I have successfully installed it and integrated
> with mysql and php. My question is how can I make syslog-ng to start
> rancid when a syslog configuration message is received from a cisco
> device:
>
> 112578: 1564643: May 15 09:05:19.141 EEST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured
> from console by ******** on vty0 (10.10.10.10).
>
> So far I know that I have to use the program() directive. But how can I
> pass the hostname and other parameters to rancid?

I probably would have thought an SNMP trap for ciscoConfigManEvent[1] would
have been the 'correct' way to do this?

If you plan on using the syslog messages, you probably need to seperately run
swatch[2] to deal with this as it's outside of syslog-ng's remit (I think).

Cheers

Alex

[1] http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&mibName=CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB
[2] http://swatch.sourceforge.net/