[syslog-ng] Logging timezone info in each message for V 1.6.8

UNIX sysadmin infosec at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 00:53:33 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Manju Ramanathpura (mramanat) <
mramanat at cisco.com> wrote:

> Wondering if there is a way to print timezone with each message in the
> Version 1.6.8 ?
>
> Currently my message looks something like below
>
> Jan 21 12:22:12  <rest of the message>
>
> Instead I would like to see something like below
>
> Jan 21 12:22:12 PDT 2008 <rest of the message>  or something in that line
> where I can see the timezone info.
>
> I have come across some timezone handling documents from  -
> http://www.syslog.org/syslog-ng/v2/#timezone_handling  But only for the
> Version 2.x  and not for version 1.6.X
>
> I'd appreciate if you can share any tips for printing timezone ( or perhaps
> ISO format timestamp )  in each message for V 1.6.8

You haven't said that you're familiar with templates and macros in
syslog-ng, so I'll point you towards the docs:

http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html#template

http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-admin-guide_en.html/ch03s07.html

If you have trouble making templates work, send your configs and errors to
the list along with a description of what you're trying to accomplish.