[syslog-ng] weird "program name:" shortening to just "name:"

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:53:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

   I've just noticed something very odd in syslog-ng. It shortens the
program name without my consent.

When I try something like this:

logger -t 'Oracle Test Version' testing

I get in the logs:

Jul  3 10:37:08 hostname Version: testing

so it has reduced 'Oracle Test Version' to just 'Version' without my
permission...

I've done this same test on another server using the classic version of
syslog and it works as expected:

Jul  3 10:49:06 hostname2 Oracle Test Version: testing

I have verified this looks broken across 2 syslog-ng servers and my
workstation, but I have no idea why. Does syslog-ng have some specific
reason for mangling this? Is there a workaround? (other than just
changing to Oracle_Test_Version which I have verified works since it's
one word)

-h

--
Hari Sekhon