[syslog-ng] 2.0.7 contrib/rhel-packaging/syslog-ng.conf typos

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sat Jan 26 15:32:02 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 11:09 +0000, Joe Fegan wrote:
> Hi Sandor,
>
> > Up to RHEL4 there is a direct dependency on sysklogd in the RPM
> > database (vixie-cron, initscripts). AFAIK this has been changed in
> > RHEL5 so the syslog-ng RPM could be used as a syslogd replacement.
>
> On RHEL4 if I have the standard sysklogd RPM installed, but have done "chkconfig syslog off" to prevent it from running, is that sufficient to meet this requirement? I don't really want to run both syslogd and syslog-ng at the same time - I'd rather have syslog-ng handle all logging - but I could live with standard syslogd being installed but inactive.
>
> > The remaining part of the patch is about commenting out network sources.
> > As I've stated above the packaging/ configuration was created for its
> > purpose.
>
> I think you're saying that your aim in creating this conf file was that installing syslog-ng would not interfere with the operation of the standard syslogd by default. I definitely agree with that aim and in fact that's why I was proposing to comment out the remote configuration; it seemed to me that if you configure syslog-ng to process remote messages by default there is a potential for conflict with the standard syslogd, if it happens to be running with the "-r" switch.

First of all, thanks for your contributions.

I've committed parts of your patches that did not change the original
intents (e.g. I did not commit the parts that committed out the network
sources).

We are planning to make the various packages easier to install for all
of the supported platforms, then we will introduce some incompatible
changes.