[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng too many open files

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Thu Jan 24 13:46:53 CET 2008

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> I'm receiving many messages on my syslog-ng like this:
>
> syslog-ng[20419]: Error opening file for writing; filename="...",
> error='Too many open files (24)'
> syslog-ng[20419]: Error accepting new connection; error='Too many open
> files (24)'

Try raising the per-process number of open files. Please refer to
ulimit.

> In lsof output, the syslog-ng daemon has many files opened and when I
> try to login from other console or change to root account, it gets
> blocked.
>
> I've increased the sysctl fs.file-max to 300000 but the
> problem persists.

This raises the per-system limit only. per-process limits still
apply as well as the maximum (maybe 4096, I'm not sure) is hardcoded
into the kernel, so without recompiling you r kernel you can't exceed
this limitation.

> Any ideas what's going wrong?

Without seeing more details (syslog-ng version number, configuration,
approximate number of clients, client configs) we could only guess.

Regards,

Sandor