[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng acting in relay mode

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Sep 28 19:35:53 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 08:53 -0400, James B Horwath wrote:

> I was testing syslog-ng compiled with spoof_source compiled in.  This
> was the premium version used in evaluation mode.
>
> When I use the spoof_source option to relay log data, syslog-ng will
> not allow me to write data locally.  Is this the case whenever
> syslog-ng is using spoof_source acting a  relay.  Is it possible to
> write the data locally on the relay host?

The premium edition starts in relay/client mode without a license. In
this mode messages received from the network cannot be written to disk
locally, of course disk buffer is not affected by this restriction, e.g.
you can do things like:

network messages -> relay (disk buffer) -> network

Spoof source is completely independent of the above case, it is only
used when sending out messages.

For more information on the way licensing works in syslog-ng PE, read
this description:

http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-admin-guide_en.html/ch02s03.html