[syslog-ng] Is this possible in syslog-ng.conf . (v2.0.2)

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Feb 19 17:14:12 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 16:48 -0800, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

>  	Ok .  IMO counter intuitive ,  Tho reasonable with your explanation .
> One is very used to the 'source' in FW/router/...'s as being the source
> device(s) IP from where a packet came from .

syslog-ng is not a firewall :) this is sometimes strange to me as well,
being involved in firewall products as well. But putting the joke aside,
syslog-ng is a "syslog message pipe" processor: sources generate
messages, destinations serve as message sinks. Some filtering here and
there, that's about syslog-ng's internal structure.

So, naming source as a source is consistent with syslog-ng itself.

>  	An aside ,  Can one do the 'Formatting' like my example above ,  again
> no examples show up like that ,  but I am hopeful .
>

> > To do that you need the netmask() filter.
>
>  	Next time I'll go looking at the Blog at Gmane first before shooting my
> mouth off .  netmask was just the hint I needed .
>  	Tho it sure would be nice for netmask() to support the /xx bits netmask
> format .

It does support this format.