[syslog-ng] valid HOSTNAME characters in syslog?

dave ceek63 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 20:50:34 CEST 2007

Thanks for the historical reasons.

I would like rephrase my question as below:
 If I were to implement a standard compliant Syslog
Relay, do I need to treat '@' a valid character in the
HOSTNAME field of syslog message to be relayed?
For e.g.:
Input syslog to Relay- <34>Jan 23 11:11:11 host at nm MSG
Output from Relay    - <34>Jan 23 11:11:11 host at nm MSG

i.e. The relay didn't insert new hostname/ipAddress
while forwarding. Is this a standard compliant Syslog
Relay behavior?

Is chaining of hostnames using '@' specific to
SyslogNg?

cheers