[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 2 and bandwidth limiting

jrhendri at maine.rr.com jrhendri at maine.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 18:07:06 CEST 2007

Hi,
  Is there a way to limit the bandwidth of an ng server?

If so, does it work with UDP or only TCP?

I have seen the log_fifo_size() option, but don't easily see how this
would limit the amount of bandwidth used (seems like it is designed to
provide a larger output buffer  for slow links, but does not actually
limit the bandwidth used by NG)

I am also looking at the flow-control flag, but again it is not clear
how to use it to limit the bandwidth.

Ideally I would like something that would allow NG to be limited to a
specific amount of bandwidth (packets/sec or kb/s, etc.) for each log
path. This way if a service started generating an excessive amount of
log data (e.g. if a daemon were put into debug mode) it would help
prevent the log server from choking the network trying to send all the
packets (it would be especially nice if you could configure how large an
output buffer were available, so if you wanted to deal with *bursty*
services, you could limit them to a small amount of bandwidth, but
provide them with a larger output buffer so you would be less likely to
drop messages.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jim Hendrick