[syslog-ng] prune identical messages

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 27 21:58:40 CEST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:25:51 EST, Richard Legault said:
> How can I prevent a log from being written that is identical to the log message
> that immediately preceded it. I would like to throttle those messages so that
> they can only be printed once every 10 minutes, those occurring between would
> simply be dropped.

You *don't* want to simply drop them.

For instance, there's a *big* difference between:

foo1: ssh connection from 129.257.10.4

and

foo1: ssh connection from 129.257.10.4
foo1: 2,348 duplicate messages suppressed

Similarly, how would your response differ for:

frobozz13: Correctable ECC error detected on board 4, SIMM 7.

and

frobozz13: Correctable ECC error detected on board 4, SIMM 7.
frobozz13: 1,438,598 duplicate messages suppressed