[syslog-ng] Creating a named pipe (FIFO)

Cary, Kim Kim.Cary at pepperdine.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:11:26 CET 2006

We create our pipes by placing the appropriate commands in the syslog-ng
startup file (/etc/init.d/syslog-ng).

[Actually, we test to see if the pipe already exists; if not, we create
it. We do this creation in /var/run and here the pipe needs to be
recreated after every boot. We don't want to recreate it when we restart
the process (syslog-ng) that is feeding it, since recreating it requires
us to bounce the process that is reading from it (fisq.pl)].

Kim Cary
Infrastructure Security Administrator
M-F 7-4 ~ 310 506 6655