[syslog-ng] remote logging not reliable

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Mar 3 10:41:45 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 16:15 -0800, stucky wrote:

> thanks for your reply ! I am already using keepalive on the server :
>
> tcp (ip("**********")
>        port(5000)
>        max-connections(1000)
>        keep-alive(yes)); };
>
> It doesn't look like I can specify this option on the client though.
> If I try something like :
> destination loghost { tcp("*********" port(5000) keep-alive(yes)); };
>
> It complains about a syntax error. I have never seen an option called
> 'tcp-keep-alive()' but I tried it without
> luck. It always complains about a syntax error. I guess you meant
> 'keep-alive(yes)' right ?

tcp-keep-alive was added in 1.6.3 as I read my changelogs.

keep-alive and tcp-keep-alive are different beasts, the first means that
syslog-ng should keep all connections open through reloads, the second
means to enable SO_KEEPALIVE option.

> As far as upgrading is concerned I want to but I wanted to wait till
> 2.0 is out and stable. Any ETA ?

It all depends on testers. Judging the feedback it is either rock solid,
or no-one is using it. I suspect it is the latter.

In the current situation an "it works for me" messages would help a lot,
the first can be this very mail, as I've been using 1.9.x snapshots for
about a year now.