[syslog-ng] Circular File Output

Kenneth Kassing kassing at patton.com
Thu Jun 29 22:46:01 CEST 2006

I have an idea I would like to run by everyone, but first I will provide
a brief background of my situation.

I am using syslog-ng on an embedded Linux device with a limited amount
of resources.  To this end, I must maintain very small log files.  I
have looked into log rotation, but do not wish to take the crond /
logrotate approach.

Ideally, it would be nice if Linux natively supported a cyclic file type
so that I may limit the file size externally from syslog-ng.  I have
explored the idea of developing an external sever which will manage a
circular file for me, but I feel it would be much more efficient to add
this functionality to syslog-ng directly.

Let me know if this sounds feasible.