[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 2.0rc1 memory usage

Martin, David M David.Martin at anheuser-busch.com
Fri Jul 21 02:47:36 CEST 2006

Anyone running 2.0rc1 on Solaris 9 (sparc)?
If so, what memory requirements are you seeing for the syslog-ng process?

My install handles ~ 700 messages/sec (all UDP) and over the course of a day
syslog-ng will gradually consume nearly all available free memory (I've seen it
up to 1GB).
(syslog-ng is bounced by logrotate daily, so the process repeats itself)
I was able to substantially decrease the rate of consumption by adding the
'flush_lines" global (syslog-ng process now at 91MB and growing ... slowly).

I installed 2.0rc1 on one server, kept another at 1.6.8 (roughly 500
messages/sec load).  The syslog-ng process there is stable at 3 MB.

Here's the config from the 2.0rc1 server:

options {
  log_fifo_size(8192);
  flush_lines(4096);
  long_hostnames(off);
  use_dns(yes);
  use_fqdn(no);
  create_dirs(no);
};
source network {
  udp();
};
filter f_messages {
  level(info..warn) and not facility(auth);
};
destination messages {
  file("/var/log/messages");
};
log {
  source(network);
  filter(f_messages);
  destination(messages);
};

syslog-ng 1.6.8 config identical except for options section:

options {
  use_fqdn(no);
  keep_hostname(no);
  use_dns(yes);
  long_hostnames(off);
  sync(0);
  log_fifo_size(1000);
};

The information transmitted (including attachments) is
covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act,
18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or
entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.