[syslog-ng] FQDN's in syslog-ng

Steven Hajducko steven.hajducko at digitalinsight.com
Thu Aug 24 18:33:42 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

We've currently got a syslog setup that centralizes our logs from many
of our different teirs into one location, using each system's prebuilt
syslog.  It works at the moment, but we've got some issues.

Our main one is that we name our hosts the same in different
environments, mainly because these environments are for moving code and
configs from 1 step to the next, so to make it easier on people so they
don't have to change configurations each time the code moves, hosts
share similar names.

The problem is that when all the logs come back to the central syslog
server, they can't be seperated by host because of the similiarities.
So 'web5' in our QA is the same as 'web5' in production.

Because of that, we were looking at syslog-ng and while I found a couple
references to using FQDN, I've been unable to tell whether or not this
is possible.

Our machines DO have different FQDNs.  For example,
web5.qa.location.domain.com vs. web5.prod.location.domain.com.  If we
run our main central server on syslog-ng and replace all the syslog
daemon's on each system with it, can we force the FQDN to be given
rather then just the base hostname and have the central log server sort
the logs into different directories based on the FQDN?

Thanks!

--
sh