[syslog-ng] syslogng+logcheck

catenate infosec at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:34:51 CET 2005

On 11/21/05, Metal Gear <finattack at gmail.com> wrote:

> what i tried to do is to provide a custom path to newlogcheck.sh on
> runtime to process the logs, but this is not working for me.
>
> Then the syntax would be,
> ./newlogcheck.sh /var/log/hosts/robot/day.month.year/messages
>
> is there a possiblity to run newlogcheck with above mentioned conditions.

Sure, something like:

/patch/to/newlogcheck.sh /var/log/hosts/robot/`date '+%d%m20%y'`/messages

Most people still keep logs someplace like /var/log/messages so that things
like logcheck and just some random person wanting to check for errors can
still find the logs, then just rotate/delete them every day and store the
/var/log/HOSTS stuff according to some longer retention policy. Seems easier
in the long run.