[syslog-ng] Architecture redundancy

John.Dickinson at nominet.org.uk John.Dickinson at nominet.org.uk
Wed Nov 2 09:53:24 CET 2005

I have been doing this and recent messages on this list suggest many
others are too. The solution that I settled on was to cluster the two
syslog-ng servers so that syslog-ng only ran on one server and failed over
to the other if the first server died. The logs are written to a clustered
filesystem on a SAN. I did consider running syslog-ng on both servers and
then trying to do some kind of log file reconciliation every night but
decided that would be too hard. To do the clustering we are using Poyserve
but there are lots of other clustering systems out there that you could
use.

The big problem that I have is the loss of log messages during failover.
If anyone else has suggested configs or ideas on minimising this I would
be very interested to hear.

Thanks
John