[syslog-ng]Perl interface to syslog under Solaris

Loic Minier syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:36:15 +0100

     Hi,

 I am using the Perl interface to syslog (called Sys::Syslog) under
 Solaris.  A lot of people are complaining that it doesn't work,
 especially with the "stream" support, and I had to switch to udp().

 My problem is that I am using template("$MSG\n") for logging, which
 seems to work for other udp sources, but produces a:
 "myPerlProgram: log message" instead of a simple "log message" in the
 logs.

 It is the same value as in my openlog() ident option, and if I use an
 empty ident, I get:
 "root: log message" instead.

 Can anyone give an example how not to insert such a prefix in my
 messages?  I really would like to use the "stream" interface instead of
 udp() because Perl makes many assumptions on where and how I'd like to
 log.

 Here's my Perl init:
 use Sys::Syslog qw(:DEFAULT setlogsock);
 setlogsock('inet');
 openlog('', '', 'local7');

   I feel desperate,

--