[syslog-ng]/proc/kmsg and chrooted syslog-ng

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:48:30 +0200

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 10:08:46PM -0500, Michael D. (Mick) Bauer wrote:
> One more ignorance-betraying question about Syslog-ng chroot-jails:
> what should one do about /proc/kmsg? Maybe "touch
> /var/logjail/proc/kmsg; ln -s /var/logjail/proc/kmsg /proc/kmsg"?

no, this would not work. kernel messages need to be fetched from a "live"
proc filesystem, however you can mount it directly into the chroot jail
as well, e.g.

mount -t proc proc /var/logjail/proc

that's about it.

> And do I take it that, per another recent posting, one should
> similarly create a new dev/log in the jail and link to it from
> /dev/log?

yes, this makes it possible to reload syslog-ng inside the chroot jail, as
otherwise it is not possible.

> I'd like to post a revised Syslog-ng chroot jail procedure later
> this week. Thanks to the two of you who've replied so far!

great.