[syslog-ng]Null characters with PIX and Syslog-ng-1.6.Orc4

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:14:25 +0100

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 03:53:24PM -0000, Bill Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> More of an observation than a cry for help...
>
> I had a problem grepping for information in my syslog-ng logs from PIX's.
> After alot of investigation I found a null character sitting (invisibly)
> at the end of the time field - /usr/bin/grep will not look past the null
> character. The PIXs timestamp the syslog message (in this case - not by
> default) and I could not see a syslog-ng configurable cause of this. So
> like the coward I am ;) I uninstalled 1.6 and went back to 1.4.17 - which
> did not have the problem.
>
> So really this is just a heads up for anyone seeing the same issue and
> maybe if anyone knows the cause and/or knows the fix. As long as you don't
> have to spend all morning trying to fix grep...If you think you might have
> this the command to check for null characters is cat <file> | perl -nge
> 's/\000/XXX/g'
> - XXX marks the spot. Probably can do it in sed or tr as well.

Hi,

I've already fixed this and posted a patch on this list, though I have not
released a new version. The next revision (which will be called 1.6.1 will be released RSN)