[syslog-ng](no subject)

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:26:54 -0700

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 05:06:54PM -0500, Grenier, Scott 1 - San Mateo, CA wrote:

> I'm setting up new syslog servers using syslog-ng in a mostly Solaris
> environment.  Regular syslog logs messages from hosts with the actual
> hostname, but syslog-ng is logging the host's IP address instead.  Not
> all machines are in DNS.  Here's what I have:
>
> options { chain_hostnames(no); use_time_recvd(yes); log_fifo_size(1000);
> };

Use the options:

 keep_hostname(no);
 use_dns(yes);

You might want to turn on DNS caching, since syslog-ng blocks on DNS
lookups.

 dns_cache(yes);

I find it handy to use fully qualified names, as hosts like "ns1" tend
to pop up a lot. The FQDN saves the day.

 use_fqdn(yes);

> I checked out the FAQ on Nate's site already (Nice job on the site and
> FAQ, Nate.  It's been a very useful resource for me.).

Glad to hear it.
--
"A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He
must have time to modify his shape." - Samuel Clemens