[syslog-ng]use_time_recvd(no) not working?

Michael Renner m.renner@inode.at
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:41:42 +0100

Hi!

I've got a server (syslog-ng 1.5.14) with a innacurate system time (off by
a minute) which logs to my master server (also syslog-ng 1.5.14). The
option use_time_recvd(no) is in the masters config but the last changed
time of the current logfile and the timestamps in the logfile are those of
the senders server. Shouldn't the master syslog-ng strip all timestamp
information from the logmessage and insert its own?

I noticed this (obviously mis)behaviour because the PAM-stuff on the
inaccurate server went mad and sends syslog entries with (nearly) correct
time but the date is set to 2001-12-31; all other services log with correct
timestamps.

Here are some messages which cause the broken log-dates

--- snip ---

Mär  7 18:12:49 backup su: FAILED SU (to root) robe on /dev/pts/0
Mär  7 18:12:53 backup su: (to root) robe on /dev/pts/0
Mär  7 18:12:53 backup PAM-unix2[10112]: session started for user root,
service su

--- snap ---

modify times of the two opened logfiles on the sending host (format is
$HOST/$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY):

-rw-------    1 root     root         3193 Mar  7 18:12 2001-12-31
-rw-------    1 root     root       196130 Mar  7 19:17 2002-03-07

and here on the master server:

-rw-------    1 root     root         1814 Mar  7 18:13 2001-12-31
-rw-------    1 root     root        39016 Mar  7 19:18 2002-03-07

a) do you have any tips on tracking down the problem with the broken
pam-timestamps?
b) is the use_time_recvd() option broken/non-existant in 1.5.14 ?

mfg

--

Renner Michael
Junior System Engineer