[syslog-ng]BSD compatibility issue.

Gustavo Chamone gchamone@cellcard.com.br
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:30:21 -0200

I just need to state that I've NOT tested this on Linux, but since I
have not seen any complaints, I'm assuming this is strictly BSD-related.

This is something I've been wondering for awhile... Maybe you guys can
help me out.

As reported[1] by Ed Ravin, there is a issue when using Syslog-NG 1.5.x
over NetBSD systems.

As an OpenBSD user, and I'm going through the same problem as he did.
I've asked him for help, and he was kind enough to teach me (thanks!)
a trick / workaround, which basically is, to forward kernel messages with
the default Syslog to Syslog-NG.

This solution works fine, but I've some servers that I'm stuck with
Syslog-NG 1.4.xx, just because I can't afford a single extra process.

My question is: have Syslog-NG definitively abandoned BSD compatibility?

Is this a known issue by it's developers? If it is, there's a plan to
get it fixed?

As usual, if there's any information I can give to help solving this,
please, just get in touch.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Gustavo Chamone (gchamone@cellcard.com.br)